I was back down at the Glamorgan hospital today at the crack of dawn, ready for Lily's eye operation. I got up at 6.00am, and got ready as quickly as i could to leave. Typically, Lily decided to wake up at 6am too, looking for milk which i couldn't give her. I'd pre-packed everything ready, so i just grabbed the change bag and left.
It wasn't long before they lead me up to theatre and into the room where they knock you out! I sat on a stool with Lily in my arms while the anesthetist placed the mask over her face to send her to sleep. She didn't like it at all, and as i held her tight to me, she thrashed and cried! It broke my heart a little! She slowly got less fractious and more still, till eventually she went completely still. I had to lift her on to a giant bed, kiss her and leave the room. That was a hard bit. Leaving my little baby girl.
We headed back to the ward where Lily was so groggy from the anesthetic. Poor baby. She just cuddled into me, and i breast fed her. She was so tired, she fed both sides before falling to sleep. It took a few attempts to put her down, and she eventually did;
They had to do four obs checks on her to make sure she wasn't reacting to anything, before i was allowed to go home. Only the children get food for free, so parents who stay with the kids have to cater for them selves. The cook who was taking orders saw me breastfeed, and said i could have some dinner too! Whoop! Another plus to breastfeeding. I love it! So Lily and i got to munch some chicken pie, potato and veggies.
I was so impressed with the timings of the nurses - i was able to leave the hospital by 1.30pm. I'd told Jared i would be back by 4pm. Royal Glamorgan knock spots off Prince Charles. Everything was cleaner, friendlier, more professional and organised. By the time I'd left the ward, it was full. There was one mum i really liked who i had a good chat to her about biting. It was nice to know that you're not the only one to experience it. Another mum opposite me was a classic Welsh person, asking everyone what they were in for. Nosy as heck!
As i didn't know what time i would be home, Jared rung his mum and asked if she would make some tea for us. She is so good to us. She even went shopping to get some food in to cook for us when she was going out for a main meal with Peter. I got the impression it hasn't been a good day for her. To see the suffering relived, i would do anything. Anything to see that pained look go and that longing to see Philly again. What a test this life is.
When we got home, it was a race to get the kids to bed. Etan is so active and lively, by 6pm we are both so desperate for him to go to bed! He of course will object, and after many tears from both of them, all falls silent. Ethan will come into me while I'm typing to give me stickers, and tell me, 'it's a surprise for you.' Cute. Lily is still chuntering away in her cot, half talking and half crying. I just know she wants me to pick her up!
After a quick bath, i typed up today's events (i felt i should document this day!). Now i must get dressed, clean up the house, pack the kids bags and pack my stuff ready for tomorrow. AND fit in a church study, if i can. Jared is taking me to the Forest of Dean tomorrow to do some biking for my birthday, and Peter and Pauline are having the kids. Good luck to them, i know i am going to enjoy my day!
No comments:
Post a Comment